Texas Insider Report: WASHINGTON, D.C. – (CONROE, TX) - Today, Congressman Kevin Brady (TX-08) released the following statement after voting against H.R. 7608, the Democrats’ partisan appropriations package:
“This package needlessly spends billions of dollars on partisan provisions that would reverse important pro-life protections, jeopardize our nation's security, and hinder our ability to produce American-made energy.
“Right now, our taxpayer dollars should be wholly focused on defeating the novel Coronavirus and supporting American workers and businesses – not on controversial policy measures.”
Background: H.R. 7608, comprised of four appropriations bills for Fiscal Year 2021, includes provisions that:
- Allows foreign organizations that perform abortions to receive federal funds.
- Makes our border less safe by prohibiting funds from being used for a border wall system along the southern border and restricting the President’s ability to transfer funds to address a national emergency.
- Recklessly limits America’s domestic energy and mineral production and underfunds the President’s request for offshore and onshore conventional energy development.
- Spends an unnecessary additional $37.5 billion on top of the budget caps in the Bipartisan Budget Act signed into law last year.
- Distorts transparency and side-steps accountability for international organizations like the United Nations and World Health Organization.