As Democrat's Iowa Caucus Faceplants, Trump Wins GOP’s With 97%

With Iowa Caucus meltdown, Democrats continue to undercut their own credibility

By David Marcus

Democrats cast the first votes in their 2020 Democrat Primary Monday in Iowa. So far, so good — the casting of the votes went fine, but the counting of the votes? Not so much.

In a display of incompetence stunning even for the Democrat Party, technical difficulties caused by an app malfunction meant that as all awoke this morning, there were no results.

Not exactly no results, actually. In the Republican caucus – where a simpler, app-free system of voting was used – the numbers flowed in quickly and showed President Donald Trump had won 97% of the vote. The other 3% was split evenly between Never Trumpers William Weld and John Walsh.

Both this result and the non-result for the Democrats tell us a lot about the current political moment.
 
The biggest takeaway from the Democrat debacle is, that whoever the Iowa winners are saw the shine rubbed off their prize significantly.

First of all, under the old system in 2016, the results were in by 10 p.m. Eastern Time, allowing for close to prime time victory speeches and a chance to spike the football.

Secondly, the delay also meant there are no blaring headlines trumpeting the winner in today’s newspapers. This would already be bad enough, but is compounded by the fact that by the time we know the results (supposedly) sometime today, we'll already be moving into Senate impeachment speeches this afternoon, the State of the Union address this evening, and the acquittal vote tomorrow.

RIP news cycle, we hardly knew ya.

If, as many suspect, Bernie Sanders was among last night’s big winners, the irony is that it was he and his supporters, who felt cheated by the process in 2016, who demanded the changes in the process that led to this entire unfortunate situation.

Also, as bad as this is for the winner or winners, it’s arguably even better for the losers, especially if one of them, as suspected, is Joe Biden. But by the time we come up for air Thursday, Iowa will seem a distant memory as we move into New Hampshire, where hopefully there are Democrats who know how to count.

On the other side, the 97% tally for Donald Trump may not seem like a big deal. After all, he is an incumbent president who is popular in the party. But we should look at it within the full context of the last three years. The reason Trump had opposition at all was that his opponents bought into the notion that there is some sizable GOP constituency that wants an alternative to the uncouth Commander In Chief.

One can hardly blame them. If we watch most cable or network news, read most of the country’s biggest newspapers, and even peruse some “conservative” outlets, we see much dismay at Trump and his ways. If so many Republicans in the pundit class are troubled, so must be many voters who they supposedly influence, no? No.

The GOP takeaway from the shellacking of Never Trump is that it is a hopeless enterprise with a tenuous relationship to reality. There are no throngs of Republican voters yearning for a better choice. They like the president, they like his accomplishments, and they don’t care about the sham impeachment.

In this tale of two caucuses, we see one party in disarray – and another firing on all cylinders.

That, more than anything, is the big takeaway from this year’s Iowa caucuses.

David Marcus is the Federalist's New York Correspondent. Follow him on Twitter, @BlueBoxDave.
ad-image
image
02.18.2020

TEXAS INSIDER ON YOUTUBE

image
02.11.2020
image
02.06.2020