A Farewell Message from Secretary Perry
By Secretary of Energy Rick Perry
My dear DOE family Ive said many times that I have the coolest job in the world and a big reason for that has been you the men and women who serve alongside me at one of the most innovative places on earth the Department of Energy.
From my first day on the job in March 2017 you welcomed me with open arms even though you probably didnt know what to expect from this born-and-bred Texan who had just arrived in Washington D.C.
Since that time you and I have worked diligently to advance our DOE mission. And the great thing is we succeeded and we continue to push the boundaries of what is possible each and every day.
You know some people wake up every day and they wonder if theyre making a difference. The men and women who work at this Department do not have to worry about that you are literally changing the world.
So its with profound emotion and gratitude that I am announcing my resignation effective later this year as your Energy Secretary.
There is much work to be done in these upcoming weeks and I remain fully committed to accomplishing the goals that I set out to accomplish at the beginning of my tenure. And then I will return to my favorite place in the world Texas but Ill treasure the memories of what weve accomplished together during my time here at DOE.
We pursued a truly all-of-the-above" strategy.
- We achieved the magnificent goal of energy independence
- We deployed all of our fuels from renewables to fossil fuels to nuclear energy
- We led the world in producing Oil & Gas and in reducing energy-related carbon emissions at the same time
- We became a net exporter of natural gas for the first time in more than 60 years offering freedom to our friends and allies from energy coercion by some powerful adversaries out there
- We strengthened our national security by bolstering our nuclear security
- We cleaned up numerous sites as we tackled Americas post-Cold War environmental legacy
- We stood up our CESER office to deal with threats to the reliable delivery of electricity
- We created an office of Artificial Intelligence to coordinate the amazing work that were doing in this game-changing arena
- And were ready to export our energy technology to deliver electricity to more than one billion human beings mired in energy poverty
Ive been blown away by the amazing work done at what I call The Nations Crown Jewels our 17 National Labs and Ive had the opportunity to visit all of them.
In my travels abroad people everywhere wanted to know about this Department because our footprint and impact is global. And that is a testament to each and every one of you today.
I thank President Trump for giving me the opportunity of a lifetime.
I am so glad that I said yes" and I thank all of you my colleagues my friends my family for making that opportunity a grand success.
May God bless you as you continue to pursue DOEs great calling and mission.
And may God continue to bless this great Country of America.
- Dont miss Sect. Perrys video message to DOE Employees announcing his departure:
- The Coolest Job Ive Ever Had"