By State Rep. Todd Hunter
AUSTIN, Texas (Texas Insider Report) — A few weeks ago, I used my weekly article to announce the start of the 87th Legislative Session and what you need to know about visiting the Capitol during the pandemic. In this week's article, I'd like to discuss that the Texas Speaker of the House Dade Phelan announced House Committee assignments.
Speaker Phelan’s committee assignments were made with a number of considerations in mind, namely, the interests, skillsets, and express committee preferences of each member.
I have been appointed to serve on three committees this session, which include:
- the International Relations & Economic Development Committee
- the State Affairs Committee, and
- I will also be the Chair of the Redistricting Committee
The Redistricting Committee is a 15-member committee with jurisdiction over all matters pertaining to any changes in State Legislative Districts & Congressional Districts, including any preparations necessary for the redistricting process.
The committee is also responsible for:
- the Establishment of Districts for the Election of Judicial Officers
- Governing Bodies or Representatives of Political Subdivisions
- or State Agencies as Required by Law
The International Relations & Economic Development committee is a nine-member committee with jurisdiction over all matters related to trade relations, relations with the federal government, commerce, manufacturing, and economic development. The committee is also involved in defense, emergency preparedness, and veterans’ issues.
Some of the State Agencies that the committee work with include:
- the Texas Office of State-Federal Relations
- the Texas Economic Development & Tourism Office
- the Texas Workforce Commission, and
- the Texas Workforce Investment Council
If you would like more information about each committee, these websites serve as a great resource:
- The Texas Legislature at www.capitol.state.tx.us
- The Texas House of Representatives at www.house.state.tx.us
- The Texas Senate at www.senate.state.tx.us
And please feel free to contact us if you have any questions or issues regarding a Texas State Agency, or if you'd like help regarding Constituent Services. Your ideas and information are important forms of feedback, and I hope that you will not hesitate to contact my office.
If you'd like to review more about the Texas State Legislature, visit the Texas Legislature Online.
State Representative Todd Hunter serves the constituents of Texas House District 32, which is composed of Aransas, Calhoun, San Patricio and part of Nueces County.